The lands of Middleton Hall, extending to about 54 acres which belonged to this late John Pender's estate, and which adjoins the company's mineral field on the west, having been advertised for sale, the directors, with the object of ultimately working the shale contained in the lands and also because the possession of them will facilitate the working of the west most portion of the company's present mineral field purchased the estate (with the exception of that portion thereof, consisting of the inn and offices and two tenements of housing in the village of Uphall), at the moderate price of £3,500, with entry at Whitsunday next, when the price is payable.
AGM of the Broxburn Oil Co. Ltd, reported in the North British Daily Mail 5th May 1899
CENTRAL OFFICES, LABORATORIES, ETC. IN THE SHALE AREA·
Mr. Fraser produced statement dated 8th December, 1919, and relative plan, describing the estate of Middleton Hall owned by the Broxburn Oil Company, the mansion house on which is at present leased to the Edinburgh District Board of Control, their lease expiring at Whitsunday, 1920. The house being centrally situated, from a housing point ot view, in relation to the various Works, Mr. Fraser submitted the proposal that the Company should take it over and convert it into Laboratories, Drawing Offices, etc. The proposal was approved of and it was resolved that it be carried out.
Minutes of the Meeting of Scottish Oils Ltd held on 22nd October 1919. See full record 100658